Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 1: My first sketch is....a rolling pin?

Hi!

This is the beginning of my first official post for this blog.  At this time, I'm choosing to remain anonymous, but since you're here, and have been interested (intrigued) enough to read this far, I'll tell you a few things about myself. First: I am an artist.  I use the term a bit less than traditionally.  I know most people when they think of an artist, they think of Leonardo Da Vinci painting the Mona Lisa, or Michelangelo sculpting the statue of David (or some other famous fine artist doing what they're known for), but the way I see it, you're an artist if you feel an insatiable drive to create, whether that be painting a picture, scoring a song, or choreographing a dance. Since I don't like to restrict myself to just one type of media, or just one area of the arts, I don't feel the traditional definition of fine artist applies to me.  I create what I create when I want to create it, and what I want to create it with.
Second: I am a dog person.  I love dogs, especially my own.
Third: I am in a creative slump.  'What, how can that be?' you say, after just reading my eloquent definition of what I feel an artist is and the descriptive passage that followed about my 'insatiable' creative drive. Well, I've hit a bit of a road-block.  No, strike that.  I am at a crossroads in my life.  I have this creative drive, yes.  I have several avenues with which I choose to express this creativity with.  Hell, I've even got some skills to go with it (Three years of studying Tae Kwon Do has given me a mean roundhouse kick, and I can make a pretty good pot of sauce and meatballs) but my day-to-day struggle with finding a fulfilling (and profitable) outlet for all of my creative good-stuff has thus far ended up at a wall.  So, I decided that a little 'art exercising' was in order. 
About six months ago, I started following a blog called New Dress A Day (if you haven't checked it out yet, you should. click on the link. trust me, it's great.) In a nutshell, Marisa started her blog based on a creative funk she was in, and after being inspired by the movie Julie and Julia, she decided that she was going to create a new piece of fashionable clothing out of an old one every dayEvery day! (You've got to admire that kind of dedication!) I loved how Marisa was able to have such a useful outlet for her creative energy, and I found myself checking her blog daily, excitedly awaiting her next awesome creation.  I found myself thinking 'Gee, that's such an awesome idea! I wish I was inspired to do something that creative....'
Also around that time, a friend of mine who blogs frequently decided to challenge herself similarly by taking a picture every day. Again, I wished I could be as lucky to be inspired.
Fast forward a few months later, March to be exact. I was walking around the Anthropologie store in the mall with the hubby, when we passed by a book called 642 Things To Draw.  Being an art teacher, and an avid doodle-er, he instantly liked the book.  In fact, he liked it so much that I quickly went back the next day picked up a copy for him and myself (surprise!) with the intention that we would find it useful over the summer to keep our creative juices flowing.
So, fast-forward to today.  Feeling creatively stagnant, coupled with the serious lacking of inspiration at my current job, inspiration finally hit.  I could propose to draw a new sketch every day!  Easy enough to do anywhere, cost-effective (I own enough pencils to outfit a small office building), and I could do it virtually any time the mood struck!
So, here I go! I  am challenging myself to post a new sketch/drawing/something creative every day for the next year!
To start this blog off, I'm using my sketch from the 642 Things to Draw book as Day 1.  I know, it's a rolling pin, of all things, but, hey, gotta start somewhere, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment